Haldwani is a city, which along with its twin township of Kathgodam forms the Haldwani-Kathgodam municipal board in Nainital District in the Indian state of [[Uttarakhand][UK]].
Haldwani is the second most populous city in Uttarakhand, and is known as the "Gateway of Kumaon". In Kumaoni, the local dialect, the place is called "Halduvani", literally "forest (vana) of Haldu", after the tree named "Haldu", often referred to as "Kadamb" (Haldina cordifolia), which was found in abundance prior to deforestation for agriculture and settlement.
In 1816, after the British defeated Gorkhas, Gardner was appointed the Commissioner of Kumaon. Later George William Trail took over as Commissioner and renamed Halduvani as Haldwani in 1834.Though British records suggest that the place was established in 1834, as a mart for hill people who visited the Bhabhar (Himalayan foothills) region, during the cold season.